Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Pain after lap chole

determined - Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:29 pm

I had a lap chole over 2 weeks ago. I have localized pain in my central abdomen which I went to the ER for and have seen my surgeon. The pain feels like deep bruising and makes the right side of my back hurt. VERY uncomfortable. I have no fever or vomiting and my incisions look great. My CT scan came back clear and my blood worked looked good.

It has been explained that while not normal the best assumption is that the deep incisional pain is not healing as typically expected and to give it more time and manage with pain meds. The explanation given led my husband and I to believe that the muscles in the abdomen had been cut as a routine part of the surgery and that was taking longer to heal. However, doing my own research since receiving that explanation seems to indicate that muscle is not cut during a lap chole. We are confused as to what might be causing the pain. Any ideas?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:41 am

User avatar Hi determined,
Lap chole, although is a minimal access surgery, involves varying degrees of manipulation of the ports during the procedure.The degree of manipulation varies from case to case.Also, the technical procedure may vary depending on various factors such as the disease itself, body habitus of the patient, variations in anatomy Etc.As you had undergone the surgery very recently,i feel that you may only need to wait patiently for the pain to go away in a week or two.Please consult your specialist if you feel that the pain is worsening.Cheers!

|