Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: QUESTION ABOUT CT SCANS

jaime4297 - Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:34 pm

HI IHAD A CT SCAN OF MY NEXK DUE TO CLICKING/POPPING NOISE WHE I SWALLOW ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF MY NECK, I HAD ASKED MY DOCTOR BEFORE I WENT IF I WOULD BE GETTING THE DYE HE SAID NO, WELL WHEN I GOT THERE THE RADIOLOGIST WAS TELLING ME I SHOULD OF HAD IT WITH THE DYE? THEY CALLED MY DOC AGAIN AND HE SAID IT WAS OK WITHOUT. I AM A LITTLE CONFUSED NOW??? I MEAN THESE RADILOGIST KNOW WAHT THEY ARE DOING.. THEY DO THESE TEST DAY IN AND DAY OUT... IS THERE SOME REASON THAT MAYBE MY DOC WOULD OF THOUGHT THE DYE WAS NOT NEEDED?
AND GETTING IT WITHOUT THE DYE... COULD THEY MISS SOMETHING THAT NEEDED TO BE SEEN?
ANY INFO WOULD HELP THANK YOU
 DaveT - Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:06 pm

I might be wrong, but I beleive the dye is there to highlight any swollen or inflammed areas. He probably thinks nothing is inflammed.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:47 am

In CT image,diagnosis of certain masses ('lesions' in medical parlance) is aided by the way the 'lesion' 'enhances' or not following administration of the dye(the dye is seen as whitish area - the degree of greyness in the whitish area is calcualted by an on-board computer).

If your doctor was looking for only an anatomical abnormality (and not an inflammatory or neoplastic lesion),administration of the dye was not needed.
Good luck!

|