Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Umbilical Surgery Yesterday PAIN!!

BillCMichigan - Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:36 pm

Yesterday I had umbilical surgery, after waking up it I was in lots of pain. Even with the pain meds (Vicodin+Ibuprofin) it hurts. My whole upper body feels sore, I now have a sore throat (I believe this may be from the air tube down my throat) I also feel like I have a chest cold coming on. Anyways, I've been having trouble urinating, only comes out a little bit and only when I am totally relaxed and sitting down, cannot urinate that good standing up. The surgeon told me to discontinue the vicodin and to only use the ibuprofen which seems very minimum for easing pain. Im having a hard time moving around. Please tell me this is normal!!! My body feels like it went through a ringer. And why would my chest be sore too? Anyways any insight or experience with this is welcome. I worry about everything!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:32 am

User avatar Hi BillCMichigan,
Generally speaking, the day of a surgical procedure, pain is not at it's most significant because of the drowsiness from the anesthesia. It's usually the first day or two after a procedure that you feel your worst. The ibuprofen will reduce the swelling and muscular pain. Although it may seem not much of a pain reliever sometimes narcotic pain relievers not only make it more difficult to urinate but they also may make you constipated. The sore throat is likey from the "air tube" and not only gives you throat irritation but it also may make your chest tender. Make sure that you deep breathe and cough, taking a pillow or blanket and holding it firmly against your stomach(decreases pain while doing this) This helps prevent complications such as pneumonia. You should see an improvement after about the third day postoperatively. Be sure to watch for any signs or symptoms of infection, redness or drainage at the surgical site, fever, chills etc. I hope this helped, and get well soon.
 BillCMichigan - Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:55 pm

Thankyou Rntdj! My urination has gotten back to normal, I am now 6 days post op, now with enlarged testicle and swollen scrotum, hurts, what would umbilical surgery have to do with enlarged testicle? Its hard to get around without the pain in my scrotum! Thankyou for your help!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:52 am

User avatar Hi BillCMichigan,
You should report this to your physician but don't panic. Swelling of the scrotum sometimes happens with hernia repairs. They will most likely recommend a jock strap, (scrotal support) or wearing briefs instead of boxers, and applying an ice pack (covered with a pillowcase or towel) for 15-20 minutes every hour or so to reduce the swelling. It also may help to elevate the scrotum with a folded towel when laying down. Call the office to make sure they don't feel that it's related to something else.

|