Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Ear Surgery or Otoplasty

am_78692 - Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:04 am

I am a 23 year old guy. One of my ear is larger than the other, because of which I look quite awkward. Can it be corrected through surgery. If yes, what will be the approximate cost of it in India. Is there any ear surgery hospitals in Hyderabad or in Andhra Pradesh, India. Please help.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:52 am

Presence of an excessively large pinna(external ear) is called Macrotia.
Normal range of height of external ear is approximately 5-6 cm and normal width is approximately 1-1.8 cm. In a 'Scaphoid ear deformity', only the upper third of the ear is big.
'Reduction' surgery or 'reduction sculpture' surgery is well known.But, this condition is not very frequent and the 'volumes' of cases done by an institution or an individual surgeon is bound to be (logically) not too vast (compared to mastoidectomies for example).
I really have no idea as to which institution in india is performing this procedure in high 'volumes', their results, or the costs involved.
Good luck!

|