Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Fluid discharge after umbilical hernia repair surgery

my3boys - Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:17 pm

I am 35 yrs old woman with three kids. I discovered I had hernia after my second kid about 5 years ago. Because it grew bigger after my last baby, I was advised to have it repaired. I had an umbilical hernia surgery about 10 days ago under GA. I was told that they had to repair two together while they pushed back a 3rd one that was quite small. Things were ok until yesterday when I noticed a stain on the sterile gauze covering the area, and I found out that I was discharging some fluids (not red and not yellow) from a part of the area along the healing ridge. I am concerned, though I have no fever and no pain in the area. Please could you advise what could have gone wrong. I have been to the hospital and I have been placed on antibiotics while they sent a swab of the fluid to the lab. Thanks.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:15 pm

It is fairly common for some patients to develop a 'seroma' following many types of surgery (including umbilical hernia repair).This more often occurs in obese women.The fluid may contain fat globules due to the liquified fat that had escaped out of fat cells.
I think your doctor has done the right thing by sending a swab and starting you on empirical antibiotics.
Hopefully,this should settle down soon. Good luck!

|