News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Cut my thumb/index finger webbing, do I need stitches?

haveblue - Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:22 pm

It is about a 1/2" cut, and was deep enough that I saw a tendon(I think, I just saw a silvery stringy thing). Since there is no muscle or fat there, I figure any cut completely through the skin would reveal the tendon. I still have all motor function and feeling in my thumb.

This is the location on my other hand where I cut it:

I cleaned the cut with Provon antimicrobial soap, wiped it with rubbing alcohol, and dribbled hobby-grade super glue over the cut. I then taped my thumb to my index finger. It is now sealed and not bleeding.

As long as it doesn't start to swell or do anything unusual, I should be fine right? I figure that if stitching is required, the doctor would have to chip off the superglue and that it would just open up the wound again.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:59 am

User avatar Hi,
If it is more than 8 hours old, generally we do not advise stitching.
I saw the approximate site of the wound in the attached photograph. what you saw may be a tendon (perhaps Adductor pollicis).
You have not told us how old the injury is, clean cut or ragged, clean or dirty, as well as the nature of the trauma.
Without that information, it may not be possible to answer your query. Please do keep us informed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here