Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Cut my thumb/index finger webbing, do I need stitches?

haveblue - Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:22 pm

It is about a 1/2" cut, and was deep enough that I saw a tendon(I think, I just saw a silvery stringy thing). Since there is no muscle or fat there, I figure any cut completely through the skin would reveal the tendon. I still have all motor function and feeling in my thumb.

This is the location on my other hand where I cut it:
Image

I cleaned the cut with Provon antimicrobial soap, wiped it with rubbing alcohol, and dribbled hobby-grade super glue over the cut. I then taped my thumb to my index finger. It is now sealed and not bleeding.

Image

As long as it doesn't start to swell or do anything unusual, I should be fine right? I figure that if stitching is required, the doctor would have to chip off the superglue and that it would just open up the wound again.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:59 am

If it is more than 8 hours old, generally we do not advise stitching.
I saw the approximate site of the wound in the attached photograph. what you saw may be a tendon (perhaps Adductor pollicis).
You have not told us how old the injury is, clean cut or ragged, clean or dirty, as well as the nature of the trauma.
Without that information, it may not be possible to answer your query. Please do keep us informed.

|