Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: ametop gel (not sure where to put this)

lisabbc - Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:39 am

im apologise if this post is in the rong section i just wasnt sure where to put it and figure a surgon would probably know the answer to my question.

ametop gel is a local anestetic u can buy in pharmacys to numb the skin. its used for things like when you get injections and things like that.

what i am wondering is.... it says on it, not to use on open wounds. why would that be?

say you had a deep cut that stings, why could u not put this gel inside the cut to numb it?

thanks for any help you can give me.

lisa.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:27 pm

Tetracaine 4% is a local anesthetic gel used topically. Emla cream (lidocaine 2.5%, prilocaine 2.5%) is another such topical gel.
Advantage of Tetracaine gel is that it's onset of action is earlier(30 min) compared to Emla cream(60 min).
Topical local anaesthetics may be absorbed through mucosal surfaces and the rate of absorption is unpredictable.Therefore serious systemic side-effects can occur.
Both drugs are contraindicated in infants less than 1 month of age.
They should be ideally used only under medical supervision.
Good day!
 lisabbc - Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:06 am

hi and thank you for replying to my question though im a little confused. what are serious systemic side-effects that can occer and what is mucosal surfaces?

thank you and sorry for my lack of understanding
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:26 am

Mucus membranes are special lining membranes of mouth,respiratory trat, gasto-intestinal tract, genito-urinary tract etc.

The mucus membrane of the oral cavity for example, is like the skin but, lacks the keratin layer which is relatively water impermeable.In the skin, the blood vessels lie deep in the dermis but, in the mucus membranes, they are quite superficial(due to the absence of the keratin layer),thus drugs applied onto them are easily and quickly absorbed(basis of sub-lingual medications).Glans penis is also lined by a specialized skin(although one may refer to it as mucus membrane).

These are the reasons why tetracaine is not recommended for use on mucous membranes or on areas with a compromised skin barrier. Also, because these uses have not been adequately studied.

Some of the known complications are..
- Allergic reactions(urticaria,anaphylactoid reactions)
- acute pulmonary edema
- cardio respiratory arrest
- hyooxia
- hypotension
- shock etc.

|