Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Gaping holes after stitches were removed

devnpeach - Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:20 pm

My boyfriend recently had cyst surgery on his back. We have reason to believe the doctor didn`t do a very good job. 11 days post op the stitches became infected, even though we did everything the doctor told us to (keep it dry, change the bandages in the am and pm, etc). He went back to the doctor and they gave him antibiotics. We were instructed to do the same- keep it dry, re-bandage, etc. One month has passed and today he had his stitches removed. There are now two gaping holes on each end of the incision spot. Is this normal!??! I was told to shove wet gauze into the holes! I've never seen anything like this before, so it's hard to imagine that this is how everyone's stitches heal. I need advice on proper ways to treat his wound. HELP!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:47 pm

User avatar Hi devnpeach,
You say that a 'cyst' was removed - what kind if a cyst was it?
I assume that it was a 'sebaceous' cyst, as they frequently arise in that location.
Sebaceous cysts in this area are usually technically more difficult to remove than sebaceous cysts over the front of the body as the skin over one's back is usually thicker an the cyst wall is commonly stuck to the skin extensively due to previous inflammatory or infective episodes in the cyst as well as chronic pressure due to body weight and friction.
It is also possible for low grade infection to exist within the cyst without external evidence of it.
Due to these factors,it is not surprising that some surgical wounds get infected following removal of these cysts.
If incision does get infected,your boy friend's surgeon will be in the best position to treat it as 'each wound has to be treated according to it's merits'.I may not be right to offer guidance regarding without routine follow ups of such cases.

|