Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: possibly misdiagnosed with hernia please help

dissectional - Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:22 am

I have had a I would say discomfort that sometimes starts where my hip bone is and follows the crease where my leg and upper body meet and down to my testicles. It has gotten worse over time. The other day it started to bother me a lot worse than normal. I mentioned it to my supervisor at work and he pulled my out and sent me to a doctor. Unfortunately the doctor that the company sent me to was an orthopedic doctor. He basically asked me a few questions and said it is most likely hernia. Most of the people I have talked to agreed. It is usually very uncomfortable for me to lay flat on my back or sit up straight. I have a fairly high tolerance for pain so I am not a good judge of on a scale of 1 to 10 etc. I would say it’s usually just annoying but as I said it has become worse and at times it’s pretty bad. My concern is they put me on workman’s comp and are sending me to a surgeon to have surgery. I have read a bunch of stuff on the internet.. I know that’s a great source but either way I have read it and I am coming up with all kinds of things it could be. I am afraid that I might have this surgery and that’s not even what is wrong with me. The company is willing to pay for it and all and that’s all fine and well but I don’t want to have surgery if that is not the problem. Does this sound like it would be hernia and do you have any suggestions of things I can do to make sure I am diagnosed properly?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:22 am

Most hernias in adults can be confidently diagnosed only by a physical examination.In newborns and infants it is a bit tricky at times.To diagnose a hernia based on the type of pain alone is not mostly possible.
Groin hernias (inguinal and femoral types) may produce dragging pain in the abdomen due to traction on the mesenteries of the large or small intestine or on the greater omentum.Pain at the site of the hernia itself may occur in cases of incarceration or strangulation of the hernia.There is no 'characteristic' or 'typical' pain for any particular hernia.

In most groin hernias, pain tends to be worse in the erect posture and gets relieved on lying down - in your case, the opposite seems to be the case.This is perhaps the only point in your history which is unlike in most groin hernias.

If a groin hernia is not evident on physical examination, but when the suspicion is high,sometimes we request an ultrasonography which may pick up some of these.

Other tests such as herniography,CT scan etc may be useful rarely in the detection of occult hernias.Best wishes!
 dissectional - Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:31 pm

Thank you for your response, I saw the surgeon and he said since there was nothing "popping" out he advised me to just wait till it popped out or went away. He said surgery at this point may cause more harm than good. The only kind of examination I had was he pressed and asked if it hurt and the cough thing. I have been cleared to go back to work which is great but I still have the discomfort "pain". I think I might have to see my personal doctor to have him look into it a little more thorough. Thank you very much for the information!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:50 am

Thank you!Please keep in touch.

|