News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: own muscle transplant

wingnut - Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:55 am

i had abdominal muscle removed 12 months ago due to tumour growth, now i'm left with no muscle on side of abdomen which my intestines are pushing against my skin. i have tried many different ways to push it back in, (wraps and bands) but they only help so much. Can i get a muscle transplant to replace the missing muscle using my own muscles maybe from my leg, has it been to long after original muscle removal?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:59 pm

User avatar Hi,
You have not given sufficient information regarding the tumor that was removed.Was it perhaps a desmoid tumor?....

Large abdominal wall defects pose a (seemingly unsurmountable) challenge to a surgeon. There are a number of ways which have been tried to reconstruct these defects.

Just to name a few....
Lazaro da Silva's technique, 'Ramirez components separation technique' (CST), fascia lata, tensor fasciae latae, latissimus dorsi, rectus femoris(perhaps what you are referring to) myocutaneous flaps, autologous dermal grafts, dermoplasty, cutisplasty etc.

There is no technique that is suitable for all patients with large abdominal wall defects. Results are unpredictable and disappointments fairly usual.

Multi-stage procedures may be needed.So,one needs to think very carefully and weigh the advantages and disadvantages before submitting to such of these procedures.

The technique will have to be necessarily tailored to the individual patient.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here