News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Removing my breast Implants.

thatgirl - Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:44 pm

I had breast augmentation surgery about 4 years ago. About 8 months ago my breast started showing wrinkles and I can now feel the bag.I am very unhappy with my silicone implants. I want them removed but I am worried about saggy skin. I have seen they have a gel implant avail mainly overseas. I have considered having my breast redone with the gel, I hate feeling the bag. I had my silicone implants done with an insert under the breast that should not prevent breast feeding I don't know if the gel implants would allow me to breast feed later. I also would be perfectly happy just removing my implants if I was not worried about saggy skin. My husband and I would like to archive children int he next 3 to 4 years, If I had my implants removed would the skin fill when I breast feed?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:07 am

User avatar Hi,

From your description, it is not clear which type of breast implant had been used in your case. Perhaps a saline implant or the first generation silicon filled implant.

In terms of the potential to wrinkle, saline implants are the most likely to wrinkle, because they are the most flexible (especially at their edges). In implants inserted in the 'sub mammary' position, any wrinkling becomes palpable or visible earlier.

The skin, breast tissue, and fat surrounding the implant are known as the soft tissue coverage. That also plays a role in the potential for visible wrinkles. The thinner one's skin skin and the less fat one has, in general the greater chance there is for the implant wrinkles to show through the soft tissue cover.Have you by any chance lost weight recently?.

If your implants are removed, the more recent generations of silicone implants may be inserted by some surgeons at the same sitting. In case you don't consider this option, it s fine but, whether the wrinkles on your breasts may disappear or not is difficult to predict.I guess there should be no problem about breast feeding. To what extent a pregnancy may help to fill up the mammary adipose tissue, one can't predict either.

However, there is another option one may also consider.That is of a breast lift surgery performed at the time of the implant removal surgery in order to enhance the shape of the breast. Feasibility or otherwise of this option has to be discussed with your surgeon.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here