News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Is it possible for an Inguinal Hernia to reappear?

ChHornets9 - Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:59 pm

15 years ago I had surgery to repair an Inguinal Hernia. However, recently that area's been feeling tender & not as "tight" as it should be. Yesterday I looked at the scar from the prior surgery, and there's a couple of raised, red bumps that are slightly tender to the touch.

The area is not painful, but I am worried that I reinjured the hernia somehow. "How" is the big question since I was not doing anything recently to do so.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:50 am

User avatar Hi,
Recurrence is perhaps,the most common long-term complication of inguinal hernia repair.

Recurrence following inguinal hernial repairs is related to many factors, some of which are...
- Inadequate preoperative preparation of patient,
- Type of hernia,
- Size of the hernia,
- quality of the abdominal wall,
- Type of operation, &
- Postoperative wound infection.

Reported reccurrence rates vary widely. These variations are primarily related to the period of post-operative follow up. Approximately 50% of recurrences presentat least five years after the repairs. An additional 20% of recurrences may present much later (15 to 25 years).
A fair number of reports tend to be published after 3-5 years of follow-up. Based on such reports, the indications are that following the modern "Open", "Tension-Free" mesh repairs, the recurrence rates for inguinal hernias is 0.1 to 0.3% (certainly less than 1%), compared to the 'Tension' repairs of the past (ex, Bassini's repair: 15-20%).

Longer follow-up (in some studies) indicates that the recurrence rates may be higher( 5 - 8 % for indirect inguinal hernias and slightly higher for direct inguinal hernias).

Laparoscopic repairs also have been reported to be showing very low recurrence rates.

In your case,it is very difficult to say whether those red bumps are due to recurrence or otherwise without actually examining you.They could be anything from simple inflammatory nodules to a strangulated hernia.

Therefore, you must consult a surgeon immediatly to be assessed.
Best wishes!
 bala19392 - Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:22 am

My testes is hardened and lowered. I have not much pain. I don't know whether it is hernia or some other or combined?. so please help me
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:16 pm

User avatar Hello bala19392,
Thank you for your query.The information that you have given is very inadequate.From the information supplied, it appears that you feel an increase in the size of one side of the scrotum and it feels hard inside.

There are a number of possibilities for a hard lump within the scrotum.
- a tense hydrocele,
- an hydrocele with calcified walls (as in some cases of filarial hydroceles),
- an organized/calcified hematocele,or
- a testicular tumor.
Of course, one must exclude an inguinal hernia in all these cases.

Kindly let us have more details so that we can guide you better.You may also consult your doctor without undue delay, as in any hard swelling in the scrotum, a testicular tumor must be considered.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here