Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: A huge bump on the back of neck , please help !

ipray - Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:59 pm

Hello There,

I was wondering if you could please help me out,my husband has this huge swollen lump on the back of his neck that is taking up most of his neck. he's had it for a month now and it only looks like it's getting worse. I seen it today and it's forming little puss pimples on top of the lump. I've tried to get him to go to the Dr. since i've first saw it but he keeps declining because he has no insurance and he thinks if he goes to the e.r. , their just going to run all of these outstanding test and leave him an outstanding bill that he can't afford to pay. He thinks that it's just stress but I think that it's more than that . Please help !! He won't even let me see it or let me clean it.

Thanks!
ipray
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:52 pm

From your description, it is difficult to narrow down the differential diagnoses.

A lipoma or a sebaceous cyst/trichilemmal cyst could be strong contenders.

Sebaceous cysts can get infected and the skin overlying large lipomas in the nape of the neck may develop furuncles or pressure sores(due to pressure or friction).
Is he a diabetic?

The best course of action would be to consult a surgeon and have him investigated.
Good day!

|