News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Nerve removal sugery

crisa2480 - Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:28 pm

I was born with a left club foot. I have had multiple sugeries to allivate the pain and also help me walk more "normal" including a subtalor fusion and 2 scope sugeries to clean out the joint. Now i am faceing a nerve removal on the lateral side of my left foot from about mid calf. My dr numbed the nerve in his office on the 28th with about 50cc of marcaine(i have an allergy to lidocaine) to make sure that it was a nerve issue.He told me that i wont be able to work for 2 weeks and that there was a bleeding risk and risk of infection. My question is what are the other risks if any. What is my post op recovery going to be ie how painfull.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:38 am

User avatar Hi,
It appears that you may have a mononeuritis involving the common peroneal nerve or one of its branches(superficial or deep peroneal nerves) causing pain in your foot.It could be an 'entrapment neuropathy'.

Confirmation of the origin of the pain due to irritation of a nerve is often done by injecting a local anesthetic around the nerve to assess the response.

From your account it is unclear if the surgeon is planning a 'neurolysis' to free the nerve or a 'neurectomy' (actual division of the nerve).

If a nerve is divided, there is bound to be paralysis of the muscles supplied by the nerve and loss of sensation over the skin supplied by the said nerve.

But,in cases where the action of those muscles has already been compromised by disease(ex, joint has become fixed),division would affect the sensory distribution(amelioration of pain) and the motor deficit would not matter much.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here