Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: taking morphine shots for post surgery pain

klg - Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:45 pm

my father had a surgery to remove 3 infected hemmeroids and repair a fissure.
the surgery was 2 weeks ago and he is in terrible pain. the dr. said he would be in pain for awhile but it is unbearable. He has been in the hospital since the surgery 2 weeks ago and gets morphine shots for the pain.
he is in no pain until he has a bowel movement then after he suffers for about 6 hours in excrutiating pain.
the dr. says it will pass. I say if he needs morphine daily something is not right.
he can walk, sit, get up etc. no problem but as soon as he has a movement the day is done for him.
has anyone experienced this should we be demanding further action from the dr. and if so what for.
thank you
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:45 am

User avatar Hi klg,
Has your father been using any stool softeners or fiber supplements to soften bowel movements? If he is experiencing such significant pain at this point (2 weeks post operatively) that's driving him to the ER, I would hope that besides receiving Morphine shots that a rectal examination was done to rule out strictures, infection, or any other anomalies......Did they call the surgeon in for an evaluation? If he has only been given Morphine shots and an evaluation was not completed call the office. Tell them that he is experiencing significant pain (at this point it should be much less) and you want an evaluation!

|