Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Proctectomy surgery

secc1 - Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:41 am

Four weeks ago I had a proctectomy (rectum removal). I have stitches down my back passage to the vaginal area. I have had discharge for approx 10 days from part of the stitches, an orangy colour to start with but now its more blood than anything else. I visited my gp last week and have been on antibiotics for 7 days but nothing has changed apart from the discharge to blood. Any advice as to what it is would be appreciated. Do you think I should go in and get it checked at the hospital or is this usual.Thank you
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:24 am

It appears that you have perhaps undergone a one stage Colectomy, Proctectomy and Ileostomy for Diffuse Ulcerative Colitis.

Problems with perineal wound healing after surgery for inflammatory bowel disease (Perineal wound morbidity) have been noted since long.

Significantly poorer healing has been noted in patients with Crohn's colitis, in men with ulcerative colitis, and in patients with ulcerative colitis who underwent one-stage operations. The risk of perineal wound morbidity is higher if anorectal sepsis is present at the time of proctectomy.

Other factors that appear to contribute to delay in healing are younger age of patients and presence of anorectal fistulas.

You have not mentioned the clinical details or details of the procedure you had undergone.It is possible that there is an underlying surgical site infection.I suggest that you must see your surgeon who will be in a better position to assess the cause for the discharge from the perineal wound.
Good luck!

|