Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Deep abd/umbilical itch, tummy tuck 10 yrs ago

yellowbird - Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:41 pm

I have a h/o many abd surgeries. 2 c-sections (last one 19 yr ago), hysterectomy 13 yrs ago, and tummy tuck 10 yrs ago. I frequently have a itch, deep under my skin at my umbilical area extending outward approx 2-3 inches all around. The itch usually happens in the middle of the night and wakes me. The sensation is extremely uncomfortable and I am unable to stop the itch. Hitting on the area is the only thing that brings somewhat relief. Could this be from scar tissue? Short of surgery to remove, what is the best way to get relief? It's almost torturous b/c the itch can't be reached. Thank you.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:38 pm

Abdominoplasty(tummy-tuck) does have a fairly long list of potential complications.Some of these which are related to the umbilicus are......
- Scarring,
- edema,
- cosmetically unacceptable appearance,
- Malposition or
- loss of the umbilicus etc.

Itching sensation in the scar does occur, especially associated with hypertrophic scars for which compression garments do help.Itching within or around the umbilicus is not so common, but has been reported.The cause is unclear.

Some of the methods recommended to alleviate this are by medication,moisturizing,& massage.Usually the changes in skin sensation following abdominoplasty tend to be temporary.Your surgeon will be in a better position to guide you through this.
Good luck!

|