News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Deep abd/umbilical itch, tummy tuck 10 yrs ago

yellowbird - Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:41 pm

I have a h/o many abd surgeries. 2 c-sections (last one 19 yr ago), hysterectomy 13 yrs ago, and tummy tuck 10 yrs ago. I frequently have a itch, deep under my skin at my umbilical area extending outward approx 2-3 inches all around. The itch usually happens in the middle of the night and wakes me. The sensation is extremely uncomfortable and I am unable to stop the itch. Hitting on the area is the only thing that brings somewhat relief. Could this be from scar tissue? Short of surgery to remove, what is the best way to get relief? It's almost torturous b/c the itch can't be reached. Thank you.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:38 pm

User avatar Hi,
Abdominoplasty(tummy-tuck) does have a fairly long list of potential complications.Some of these which are related to the umbilicus are......
- Scarring,
- edema,
- cosmetically unacceptable appearance,
- Malposition or
- loss of the umbilicus etc.

Itching sensation in the scar does occur, especially associated with hypertrophic scars for which compression garments do help.Itching within or around the umbilicus is not so common, but has been reported.The cause is unclear.

Some of the methods recommended to alleviate this are by medication,moisturizing,& massage.Usually the changes in skin sensation following abdominoplasty tend to be temporary.Your surgeon will be in a better position to guide you through this.
Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here