Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Facial Injury

nicolarichards - Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:03 am

:(
Can you help?

About 7 months ago I fell over and hit my cheekbone really hard. It was grazed and really swollen. The graze has now completely gone but still some swelling remains on the spot I hit it and in the surrounding area under the eye.

Every night I use moist warm heat on it for about 20 mins and I am also taking vitamin E tablets and putting cream with vitamin E on it as I understand that helps to reduce the swelling.

It still seems to be taking forever to go.... is there anything else I can do? Will it go eventually?

Please help!!
 Rhonda P, CEP - Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:37 pm

7 months is too long to go without medical attention, especially if you are still having swelling and pain. You could have a fractured facial or orbit (eye socket) bone, damaged muscles or nerves or injury to your eyeball. Is your pupil the same size as the other one? Do they constrict and dilate the same way? Does it hurt or have you noticed a restriction in eye movement? You need to have X-ray’s done on your cheek and eye area right away, the swelling is an important warning sign.

|