Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Anal Condyloma and Post-therapy

inexistencefaded - Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:10 pm

I had surgery to remove internal anal warts about a 1.5 years ago. The warts have been eradicated, but I'm noticing that my anus is much larger than it was previously, especially vertically. This is probably due to an incision that my surgeon had to make in order to actually access the internal warts.

I'm wondering if there are any procedures that could make the anal opening smaller or reverse the effects of the incision made during my previous surgery. If so, what type of surgeon would I need to contact for this type of procedure?

Thanks for you consideration
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:46 am

As you have not mentioned about it, i take it that fortunately, there are no problems with continence of feces although, you feel that the anal opening looks elongated 'anteroposteriorly'.

As the actual details of the surgical procedure are not available, it is difficult to guess how or why this appearance of the anal opening came about.

Any further procedure done to correct this stands the risk of potential damage to the sphincters and consequent problems with continence.

The anal canal is normally described in the text books of anatomy as an "anteroposterior slit in the skin"(appears as a 'vertical' slit in the lithotomy or the jack-knife positions).

It is possible that the normal anteroposterior slit appears to you longer or more exaggerated following the surgery.

Following most anal surgical procedures, the anal opening almost certainly looks a bit different that how it used to be prior to the surgery.Most patients undergoing these surgical procedures rarely if ever know how their anal opening looked like before surgery or thereafter.

Colo-rectal surgeons specialize in in surgery involving the ano- rectum and colon. Who among them has experience in this kind of plastic surgery in your place of residence, i am not aware of.

I feel that one must seriously weigh the small benefit(if any) of another surgical procedure, with the very real prospect of life- long misery of fecal incontinence.
Good luck!

|