News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Glass sliver in Thumb

nm09595 - Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:02 pm

About 10 days ago, I cut my thumb on some glass in our recycling trash. The next day, I was able to remove a rather large sliver. 5 days later, I knew there was more in there so I went to a Nurse Practitioner and she removed several very small pieces. 3 days later, it was very sensitive to the touch in a specific area so I went to an Urgent Care. The Physician Assistant found something but wasn't able to remove it with the tools he had so he referred me to a General Surgeon. He looked at it today in his office and after poking around on it for a while basically said there is nothing we can do about it and that he wasn't even sure if there was anything in there. I am certain there is as he did say he felt something hard at times and the fact that the PA and I saw it the day before. I know have stitches and a very painful thumb that still has glass in it. I am beyond frustrated at this situation. Please advise as to where to go next. I can't leave it in there; it is very much interfering with my daily activities (ie taking care of my kids, work, eating, etc)!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:32 am

User avatar Hi,
Firstly, i would like to refer you to the following link where i had addressed a a similar query.
(viewtopic.php?f=84&t=45467&hilit=+glass+under+nail).

In your case, as the exploration has been done fairly recently, nothing useful may be gained by re-exploring in a hurry(most surgeons may concur with this view). It is better to wait for the wound to heal fully before re-exploration is considered.If after full healing of the incision, your pain completely disappears(it is probable), nothing further may be needed.

For the time being, you should keep the limb elevated (to reduce pain and swelling) and follow medications as prescribed by your surgeon.
Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here