News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: fistula repair

natzzz - Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:24 pm

Hi, i have just been refered to have an operation to repair vagina fistula repair in the perenium. i gave birth 6 months ago. what is this procedure & what is the recovery like? will this effect future pregnancy? any information on the topic much appreciated
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:22 am

User avatar Hello,
The details of the surgery depend upon the type of fistula but basically the surgeon will close the opening with sutures, sometimes using a skin flap "patch". This can be done laparascopically, abdominally, or through the vagina. There are always risks with surgery of any kind but this should heal well without complications in most cases. The time for healing will also vary with the individual and the procedure used. Usually an abdominal surgery requires a longer healing time with the muscle repair and six weeks is considered a normal recovery period, though you could feel fine much sooner.

Your body may repair itself faster or slower so it is hard to predict recovery time. Some people may also feel lingering pain of some kind - often due to scar tissue formation but there is no way to determine this in advance. The benefits of the procedure definitely outweigh the risks inherent in surgical procedures. Risks include the procedure not working, a new fistula could develop later, potential injury to other organs in the vicinity, and possible vaginal shortening (usually not a serious concern).

Good luck with the procedure and recovery. I'm sure it will help your quality of life immensely.

Best wishes.
 natzzz - Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:27 pm

will this effect future pregnancy? will i be able to have another vaginal delivery? thanks for the info

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here