Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Do I need a surgery for chipped bone in fibula?

tinker01 - Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:55 am

Dear Doctor,

I am current having a fractured ankle, after taking the X-ray, the doctor found out there is a chipped bone in the end of fibula on my right ankle.
I was wondering, is it likely that I need to have a surgery for this?

Thank you very much
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:39 am

Since the fibula is not a weight bearing functioning bone, a chip fracture should heal on its own and not cause too many issues with walking, squatting and climbing stairs. But you ought to consult with a physician to make sure the ligaments in the ankle are not torn and the ankle joint itself is stable.

Although most of the neurovasculature to the foot is located on the other side (medial side of the ankle/foot), it is still important to monitor for good circulation and light touch sensation in the foot. If either of these or excessive swelling (which can lead to compartment syndrome) develop, you will need to have a physician re-evaluate the foot/ankle.

|