Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Circumcision Revision scar healing time

cbruffin - Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:06 pm

I was circumcised at birth, but they used absorb-able sutures. Well, i guess they didnt absorb fast enough because i was left with stitch tunnels. At 15, i had surgery to have them removed. This left me with ugly scars around where my circumcision line should have been.

Just recently, at 18, i had a revision. It is now 1 month later, and all the scabs have fallen off. However, the scar is indented in from the rest of the skin, and has created what looks like a bump pattern along the scars that has been caused by the stitches. it has lines where the stitches was, so the tissue in between the stitch lines is slightly more elevated. The scar is also unsightly and currently looks worse than it did before the revision.

Has it just been too soon? Should I be putting anything on it? What kind of results can I expect, and when can I expect my healing to take a better turn? Will this smooth out or look better?

Thanks.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:33 pm

In areas of the body, where the skin is very thin(such as the penile skin) and in certain other individual circumstances, there may be need for "everting" sutures to overcome the tendency of the skin to "invert' (and thereby delay healing). For achieving this, one preferred suturing technique is a "mattress" suture. This technique of suturing often gives an appearance of a 'bumpy' suture line and this appearance fades away in due course as scar modulation takes place.
I expect you scar will also (in all likelihood) behave this way and get well given time.

|