News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: What can I expect after peripheral endarterectomy?

ccwec - Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:29 am

I had this procedure on Fri., came home Sat. Did well in hospital and Sat. evening. Sat. night started running fever 100.3 and noticed leg operated on felt hotter than other leg. Incision sight doesn't really hurt, but my thigh is painful. Is this normal? What exactly can I expect to experience while recuperating and when should I be concerned enough to seek medical attention?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:00 am

User avatar Hi,
You have not indicated which artery was operated upon. Even the carotid endarterectomy comes under peripheral endarterectomies.

Peripheral endarterectomy will be typically done under general anesthesia. The surgery is generally an open surgical procedure. Following a routine peripheral endarterectomy(mostly in the thigh), the total hospital stay may be two to three days. You allege that you came home the very next day. Are you certain it was an endarterectomy or was it perhaps, an angioplasty +/- stenting?

Post operative surgical site infection (SSI) to manifest within 2 days is rather unusual. Typically, evidence of local infection manifests around the fourth or fifth day following a surgical procedure.But a local hematoma is capable of causing your symptoms.

In the absence of relevant information, i can only urge you to immediately get it touch with your surgeon rather than to speculate.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here