Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: puffy nipples

teddd - Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:39 pm

hi, im 17 years old. when i was under the age of 12 i had normal nipples and now they are very puffy and i hate them. is surgery the only option to get rid of them? i don't have any bumps or anything under my nipples, there just puffy. i lift weights every day, im 5'11, 165 lbs and under 15% body fat. there so embarrising, i have a great body but my puffy nipples make me want to never take my shirt off in front of anyone and even my girlfriend=/ what can i do to reduce the puffiness? is all i can do for now is wait it out? =/
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:41 pm

"Puffy Nipple Areola Complex" is one of the the most common subtypes of gynecomastia. This apperance can occur in females as well. The glandular and/or adipose tissue accumulation (in varying proportions), is chiefly located under the nipple-areola complex or can slightly be extended outside the perimeter of the areola, resulting in a dome shaped appearance to this part of the breast.This form of Gynecomastia has been observed in all age groups but is more common in young adults.It is frequently bilateral.

It is benign and needs correction chiefly for aesthetic reasons. Correction may involve,
- surgical excision,
- liposuction or
- a combination of both of these.

Goals of treatment are,
- to achieve the optimal reduction in the size of the nipple-areola complex, and
- to achieve bilateral symmetry.

Although these goals are likely to be best achieved by surgeons experienced in this type of procedure, final results(especially symmetry) may vary from case to case based on various factors.

|