News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Anal Abscess Drainage - Aftercare

livingwhole - Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:28 pm

Hello,

I had an anal abscess incision and drainage yesterday. It is packed with strips and is tender but my CR surgeon's nurse says it's looking good. I have to go back 5 more days to have it checked and repacked. They didn't have any written instrucitons for me but said to not take out the packing unless I am going to shower and go to their office to have it repacked very soon after. I am a very active person and wonder if I can exercise? Walking would be fine but I want to be sure I can do it. Also, they had to send the drainage for a culture to find out what kind of bacteria it is. My CR surgeon said it didn't really look like a perirectal abscess but maybe a cyst. She wasn't totally sure. Any thoughts?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:25 pm

User avatar Hi,
As you have not mentioned the exact site of the abscess, i will assume it to be a 'perianal' abscess(an anorectal abscess, to be more precise). Usually, following drainage, the abscess cavity is packed. The protocol for removal of the pack following surgery varies between surgeons.

Exercising may not be advisable at this stage without an express approval from your surgeon.There are certain problems that can arise from exercising. Exercises involving squatting may stretch the wound and can cause it to bleed.This may also displace the pack. Moreover, any strenuous exercise that would result in profuse sweating may result in the sweat tracking down between the buttocks onto the pack or the wound itself, causing infection.

Therefore, either you should get in touch with your surgeon and clarify this aspect or put off the exercising until after your next appointment.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here