News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Swelling from rhinoplasty, 2.5 years later...?

last99 - Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:37 pm

I broke my nose about 5 years ago. At the time, since it did not hurt as much as I would assume a broken nose would hurt, I did not go to the doctor. About 2.5 years after the incident, my nose still had a bump in it which I decided to get surgically fixed. The doctor told me the swelling should be gone after 6 months, but 2.5 years after surgery, I still see some swelling. I have a small face and my nose is the same size and shape as it was before (just without the bump) so any swelling makes a pretty big difference in my appearance(in my opinion, at least). What should I do? Is there anything I can do at this point to make the swelling go away or do I just need to wait? I once heard steriod injections in the spot can help but I have no idea if this is true, and I can't really afford expensive treatments at this point.

Is this normal? I can't afford at this point to visit my plastic surgeon again (I have different insurance) unless I can get a free checkup since I am having abnormalities?

I would like to add that the swelling is not massive, nor is it very obvious to most people as far as I am aware, but it does bother me.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I searched the internet but did not come up with any answers to this. Thanks a lot.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:59 am

User avatar Hi,
In nasal trauma, the structures that are commonly injured are
- the nasal bones, and
- the septal cartilage.

Untreated, or inadequately treated, both of these are capable of resulting in nasal deformities. These deformities can persist and at times, even aggravate (in children and adolescents, during the growth period).

Rhinoplasty is a very complex surgical procedure and has its own share of serious and distressing long term complications. If as you say, that the deformity is so minimal, you should give serious consideration to the prospect of leaving it alone, rather than to risk the potential complications of a re-do rhinoplasty (which is far more difficult, as the tissue planes are more than likely to be distorted).
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here