News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   



Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Extreme Tenderness in center of chest directly under ribcage

 Roger - Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:18 pm

I'm not sure if this is normal or not. It feels like there is no muscle at all directly above my abdomen below my ribcage in the center of my chest. As an infant I was operated on due to pyloric stenosis, which has given me no problems but maybe this is a side-effect? The spot is directly above my scar which is about 4 inches long directly above my bellybutton. I am a 21yr old male and I've always been sort of paranoid about this. I had it looked at about 6 years ago, and the doctor said it was normal and blamed it on me growing. I am now 6'2" but this still worries me as it is really the only spot on my body without a muscle covering it. It really feels like I could put the tips of my fingers together and push all the way into my chest. Once again, the spot is about a 2 inch diameter both ways and I would really like to know if this is normal.
Thanks in advance!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:06 pm

User avatar Hi,
It is not very clear from your description whether it s a horizontal or a vertical scar. Generally a horizontal incision is preferred for the 'Ramstedt's pyloromyotomy" procedure. It is possible that the underlying tissues have thinned out in the process of healing and with growth. As long as there is no true incisional hernia, there is no particular hurry to deal with this.But this determination should be done by a surgeon. There are a number of ways of reinforcing abdominal wall defects and you may discuss with your surgeon about the need(if any) and the various options(if needed).
Best wishes!


Check a doctor's response to similar questions


advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application


 advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)



Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2016
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.