Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Extreme Tenderness in center of chest directly under ribcage

Roger - Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:18 pm

I'm not sure if this is normal or not. It feels like there is no muscle at all directly above my abdomen below my ribcage in the center of my chest. As an infant I was operated on due to pyloric stenosis, which has given me no problems but maybe this is a side-effect? The spot is directly above my scar which is about 4 inches long directly above my bellybutton. I am a 21yr old male and I've always been sort of paranoid about this. I had it looked at about 6 years ago, and the doctor said it was normal and blamed it on me growing. I am now 6'2" but this still worries me as it is really the only spot on my body without a muscle covering it. It really feels like I could put the tips of my fingers together and push all the way into my chest. Once again, the spot is about a 2 inch diameter both ways and I would really like to know if this is normal.
Thanks in advance!
Roger
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:06 pm

It is not very clear from your description whether it s a horizontal or a vertical scar. Generally a horizontal incision is preferred for the 'Ramstedt's pyloromyotomy" procedure. It is possible that the underlying tissues have thinned out in the process of healing and with growth. As long as there is no true incisional hernia, there is no particular hurry to deal with this.But this determination should be done by a surgeon. There are a number of ways of reinforcing abdominal wall defects and you may discuss with your surgeon about the need(if any) and the various options(if needed).

|