Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Lump on back of neck

daniel4030 - Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:04 pm

I am a 23 yr old male, and there is something not usual on the back of my neck. Its doesnt hurt, and i cant tell if its lump/lumps or extreme tightening of the muscles. Its at the back of the base of my head, nearly where the vertebre connect to the back of the head. It moves slightly, with coaxing.. and doesnt hurt. My mother also has something similar. Anyone have any clue?... would be appreciated.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:13 am

User avatar Hello daniel4030,
I will not be able to give you a proper assessment without a clinical examination and you are encouraged to seek direct medical attention. In that area of the neck a bony protuberance is normal the skin on top may move but the protuberance should not. Another possibility is an occipital lymph node which is in most cases enlarged due to a scalp infection.

|