News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: lump on chin

camara - Fri May 06, 2005 9:15 pm

Hello, 2 days ago i noticed I developed a marble sized lump right in the middle of my jaw bone - where my chin meets my neck. It's not noticable on view, but when i press there I can feel a roundish lump. It doesnt hurt, but if i press it hard then it feels tender. I don't know why it is there, or what it may be?

Can you help?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sat May 07, 2005 9:29 am

User avatar Is it colored at all? Where the jawbone meets the neck is a common place for certain types of acne, if it becomes tender or sore and discolored, a pale pink or purple, it is probably a pimple, or a sebaceous cyst. If it's a pimple, it is a small infection - you can get a shot of cortisone to take down the inflammation and take a short course of antibiotics to heal the infection. A sebaceous cyst usually requires surgical removal (no big deal, a little novocaine in the cyst and it's done right in the doctor's office).
 camara - Sat May 07, 2005 2:03 pm

Hello there, thank you for your response,

No it it not coloured, you cant even see it at all as its so deep - I only knew it was there because i can feel it with my fingers.
I don't think it is a pimple as I have had these before and know what they feel and look like. This one does seem to be something different - almost like a swollen gland type feeling. But it isnt on the sides of my throat/chin - its right in the middle about two inches up from where my adams apple is. Does this help explain anymore what it could be?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sat May 07, 2005 8:09 pm

User avatar In that case, you really should get it looked at; strange lumps/growths should not be let go. Better safe than sorry, hon.
 camara - Sun May 08, 2005 9:41 am

Thank you again, I will in that case be checking it out tomorrow - hope its nothing too serious!
 missgde - Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:46 pm

hi, doubt you'll still check this, but i'm curious, i have the exact same issue, its almost like i wrote you message..haha everyone kept trying to tell me it was a pimple too, and I kept saying nooo! Anyway, i'm just curious to know what it ended up being? Thanks.
 MrKnifeGuy - Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:27 am

Hi, im a little late to this. I have the same problem. I was just wondering if any of you have had them checked out yet?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here