Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: golfing injury?

tonyt0801@aol.com - Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:07 pm

While golfing, I felt as if I had pulled a muscle on the left side of my rib cage (it was a great drive though). I tried to continue to play but was in absolute pain and had too give it up. This was a week ago and it does not to seem to be getting any better. In fact, sneezing and coughing literally bring tears to my eyes and I double over in extreme pain. I have no other symptoms, but am getting concerned because it does not seem to be improving in the least bit. Any advise as to what may be wrong and what to do would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much, T.
P.S. I learned that slowing down my swing greatly improves my pathetic attempt at golf!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Nov 15, 2003 8:58 am

User avatar Tony,
It may be that you strained a muscle while you were swinging. Depending on the force involved this may have lead to partial or complete tear. This will need quite a bit of rest and anti-inflammatory pain killers.
 ybenningz - Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:16 am

I woke up one morning and started sneezing, I felt this incredible pain. The pain felt like a pop, located around my lower rib towards my back. The pain is severe when I sneeze or cough. I woke up the third morning and the sneezing started again, the first sneeze was bearable. The more I sneeze the pain got worse, I can touch below the rib and feel the pain. The funny thing is that the pain feel like it moved from the back to the side. The closer I touch by the rib the pain becomes worse.

|