News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Do-it-yourself stitches?

SSJ Leia - Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:09 pm

Okay, this is somewhat of an odd question. Say someone is cut very deeply--a cut that would normally require stitches--but there is simply no way for him to get to a hospital. I don't mean no way in the immediate future, I mean no way EVER. Would it be advisable for the person to try to sew up his wound himself, or would the lack of expertise just make things worse? And if he should, what's the best way to go about that? Just use a normal needle and thread?

This is for a story I'm writing. Any ideas would be appreciated.
 Dr. S. Adhikari - Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:13 pm

It is best to get to a hospital and get those stitches dne by a doctor. In case it is not possible, it would be better to do a dressing and accept an ugly scar in the region of the wound. It would be worst if ne tries to sew up oneself with no training at all!!
 Tracy F. RN - Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:41 pm

Hi. Although this post is old, I thought I would respond because I saw a similar situation on TV, "Inside american Jails" about self tatooing. This goes for self tatoos, self body piercing, self stitching, tongue splitting, suspension from large hooks and so on. People do not understand the risk they are putting themselves at. Minor to serious scarring, mild to severe infection, loss of sensation or mobility due to nerve damage, damage to blood vessels, muscle tissue, even death. Heaven forbid the possibility of contaminated needles being used; Now you have open yourself up to whole other multitude of problems.

What did people do before there was professionals available who used sterilization? They did the best they could. And many of them succumbed to infection. Today we have much at our disposal. Using it correctly can aid in our preservation. Please have any body alterations or repairs done by properly licensed medical personnel.

Tracy F. RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here