Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Infection after laparoscopic surgery?

st3264 - Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:04 pm

I had surgery a month and a half ago to remove an ovary since an ovarian cyst was found. It was laparoscopic surgery but they also had to make a three inch incision lower at my pelvic bone to actually remove that ovary since it was too large. I had steri-strips on the area as a form of bandaging, which came off after about a month. NOW, I am afraid that one end of my incision could be infected. There is an small red lump a little less than a quarter of an inch at the end of the incision near my pelvic bone. It has mild oozing which drains clear or very light yellow fluid daily and might contain a small amount of puss. How do I know if I need an antibiotic or an ointment? What can I do to stop or prevent infection? Is it too late to prevent infection? Also, I have 3 maybe 4 stitches that have not dissolved yet.... how long will they take to dissolve? Do I need to have the doctor remove these stitches? Thank you for your time and consideration.
 Dr. Tino Anthony Solomon - Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:16 am

Hello there,

The most important consideration to rule out here is a deep infection. Your description certainly matches that of an infected tissue. This may take the form of a 'collection' which is a pool of infected inflammatory fluid or an abscess, a walled-off version of a collection. Antibiotics are certainly part of the treatment if it were an infection but would be used as the sole method only if the infection is superficial. If the suspicion is that the infection is deep either from clinical examination or radiological investigation, then the wound may need to be washed out and left open to heal on its on. Furthermore, if the infection is deep in the tissue or an abscess has formed, this will need to be incised and drained. I suggest you visit your surgeon urgently before the infection spreads and more radical treatment becomes necessary.

Kind regards,

Dr Tino Solomon
BSc(Hons) MBBS
Senior House Officer in Surgery

|