News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Concern about "Green Snot" in my stomach infection

infectionvictim - Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:53 pm

Hi,

I had a "Sling Bladder" surgery and ended up with an infection in my stomach that is open and being irrigated twice a day. It was 4 1/2 inches wide and 4 inches deep. And it seems to be going pretty good. The tissue is nice and red but I have a real concern.

I have been doing this for about 4 weeks now (the surgery was 7 weeks ago) and it is closing across my stomach but not in it's depth, and about 1 1/2 weeks ago we started getting this "green snot" (as described by my sister) on the guaze in my stomach and it keeps getting worse but the nurse that is doing the irrigating 3 times a week (my sister is doing it the other 11 times a week) says that it isn't a concern because my tissue looks good, she did show it do the dr. and he doesn't seemed concerned either. I don't have a temperature but I have absolutly no energy and I feel "icky" all the time. ANd I noticed when they take my temperature it is usually 94.something or 95.something - doesn't that seem really low? My pulse and my blood pressure are both good. Should I be concerned and push to find out what the "green snot" is or am I making a big deal about nothing?

Your help is greatly appreciated!
 Amy T, RN - Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:48 pm

Usually if there is a change in the color and odor of wound drainage there is a cause for some concern. Normal wound drainage is yellow with some possible blood tinge. Green drainage accompanied by foul odor is commonly the sign of infection. Also the wound should be decreasing in depth AND width. The whole purpose of leaving the wound open is to have it heal from the inside out. In an infected wound you may not always have outward symptoms except the change in the quality of the drainage. I suggest for you to have the wound cultured to see if there is an actual infection. Hope this info helps. wvnurse

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here