Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: AFTER OPEN CARPAL TUNNEL RELEASE SURGERY

gt1924 - Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:24 pm

I JUST HAD OPEN CARPAL TUNNEL RELEASE SURGERY ON TUESDAY. I WAS WONDERING IF IT IS NORMAL TO HAVE TINGLING THROUGH MY ENTIRE HAND AND UP TO ELBOW AT TIMES? I KNOW THE NUMBNESS IN MY THUMB, INDEX FINGER, AND MIDDLE FINGER ARE NORMAL, BUT THIS IS MAINLY IN THE PALM AROUND THE INCISION. I HAVE A SPLINT HELD WITH AN ACE BANDAGE THAT I WILL LEAVE ON UNTIL MY FOLLOW UP. IT IS NOT TOO TIGHT, IN FACT IT FEELS LOOSE. I'VE EVEN ELEVATED MY HAND ABOVE MY CHEST FOR THE LAST 3 DAYS AS INSTRUCTED. COULD THIS BE ANYTHING TO WORRY ABOUT? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. I JUST DIDN'T WANT TO BOTHER MY DOCTOR IF IT IS NORMAL.
THANK YOU
 angel2close - Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:03 am

Any time that one has surgery, there are nerves that will be affected by the incision. It is normal to have numbnesss, tingling around the incision site. This sometimes will last for quite some time after surgery. As healing takes place the numbness should begin to gradually subside.

|