News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: AFTER OPEN CARPAL TUNNEL RELEASE SURGERY

gt1924 - Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:24 pm

I JUST HAD OPEN CARPAL TUNNEL RELEASE SURGERY ON TUESDAY. I WAS WONDERING IF IT IS NORMAL TO HAVE TINGLING THROUGH MY ENTIRE HAND AND UP TO ELBOW AT TIMES? I KNOW THE NUMBNESS IN MY THUMB, INDEX FINGER, AND MIDDLE FINGER ARE NORMAL, BUT THIS IS MAINLY IN THE PALM AROUND THE INCISION. I HAVE A SPLINT HELD WITH AN ACE BANDAGE THAT I WILL LEAVE ON UNTIL MY FOLLOW UP. IT IS NOT TOO TIGHT, IN FACT IT FEELS LOOSE. I'VE EVEN ELEVATED MY HAND ABOVE MY CHEST FOR THE LAST 3 DAYS AS INSTRUCTED. COULD THIS BE ANYTHING TO WORRY ABOUT? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. I JUST DIDN'T WANT TO BOTHER MY DOCTOR IF IT IS NORMAL.
THANK YOU
 angel2close - Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:03 am

Any time that one has surgery, there are nerves that will be affected by the incision. It is normal to have numbnesss, tingling around the incision site. This sometimes will last for quite some time after surgery. As healing takes place the numbness should begin to gradually subside.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here