Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Infection after surgery

JuneBug1964 - Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:49 pm

I had a bladder pubasling surgery in November. Since then, I have had a bladder infection and a "soft tissue infection" that will not go away. I have been on Keflex 3 txs daily for 4 weeks. I still have a yellow discharge and alittle blood in it and pain on boths side of my abdomin. I just finished my last dose 2 days ago.

Is this something that is common and should I just let the infection run it's course and should I see my Urologist again and get another antibiotic?
 Dr. Russell M - Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:52 pm

User avatar Hi!

Infection can happen as a postoperative complication in most surgeries. If infections happen after every surgery done by a surgeon or after every surgery done from a particular place, one can rightly question the standards of care provided. But no surgeon or care facility is infallible, and complications are accepted risks to any surgery.

Having said that, I suppose the right antibiotic should help most infections. The antibiotic should be selected depending on the most prevalent pathogens found in the area of surgery. But if the source of infection is not identified, more investigations would become necessary.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

Bill