Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Five weeks post Tonsillectomy...

marymalcolm - Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:37 pm

Hi!
I am a 28 y/o female, and it has been five weeks since my tonsillectomy. Everything went fine, but now it seems to me as if the area in the back of my mouth is smaller? Is there just too much scar tissue, or is this normal?

Thanks,
Mary
 JenevaRN - Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:44 pm

The body takes a little longer to heal as we age -and while a five year old may bounce back from a tonsillectomy in about a week, adults find it takes a little longer and the older you get the worse it is... at age 28 it would not surprise me that you would still have some residual swelling 5 weeks later- the swelling may even persist for another week or so... it is possible that due to pain you are not drinknig enough water - which also plays a role as mild dehydration may cause your body to hold onto extra stores of fluid.
My advice is to make sure you are drinknig plenty of fluids and follow up with your dr if the swelling persists for more than another week or so or if it is causing you undue discomfort. Of course, if you have difficulty breathing, seek emergency treatment

|