Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Ulnar-Shortening Osteotomy Please Help

petejojo - Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:37 am

In July of 2003 I tore my triquetral lunate ligament via weight lifting. In Jannuary of 2004 I went in for arthroscopy and was told that I needed to have a triquetral lunate fusion, I did. That fusion failed, and in Sept of 2004 I had that screw removed and a revision of that fusion done with four pins. That fusion worked. The pins were later removed, and I have dealt with some degree of ulnar sided pain and a sore wrist in general. I decided to get some opinions as I had moved across the country and needed a new doctor. He took one look at the Flouroscope pictures (spelling) and said that I was suffering from ulnar impact syndrome as a result from the fusion. Best treatment possible is an ulnar shortening osteotomy.

Bottom line is that I spent the better part of 2004 in a long arm cast and do not want to deal with this again. He assures me that there is no casting after the sugery and that recovery is relatively quick.

Could someone please inform me on how have my ulnar bone cut in half and screwed together with 7 screws and a compression plate is not going to need a cast and just what type of pain am I up against. I have been through some serious pain with my surgeries, how does this one rate?
 Shelly S, RN - Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:10 pm

Ok-I am going to try really hard to answer this as best as I can. I have assisted with orthopedic surgeries, but I am not entirely familiar with your exact condition or procedure. Anyway, I am assuming the doc wants to do something similar to a O.R.I.F. (Open Reduction internal fixation)

If this is what is being done, an incision will be made, and the hardware will be placed appropriately. The plate will act as a reinforcement for the ulna. If he is stating no cast is needed, he will probably suture the arm closed, and give you some sort of sling for support as it heals. Ask him if there will be any external fixators used. (These are devices connected to the hardware inside. They keep things in place)

As far as pain, I can not speak about it since I have never experienced it. I would imagine your doc will prescribe some sort of pain reliever post operatively.

I hoped this helped some!!

|