News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: cholilithiasis

shy patient - Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:18 pm

I had a routine check up some time ago and discovered to have gall stones. I did not undergo treatment as i had no symptoms. But now, i have started having pains in my rightupper quadrant, and wish to see a doctor. However i want to go to a doctor with all test results ready so as to minimise visits?. What all are the blood tests and other tests, that are advisable in this case? Can I be treated with medicines or is surgery the only option available?. What are the complications if it goes untreated?
 Michele P, RN - Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:59 am

shy patient wrote:I had a routine check up some time ago and discovered to have gall stones. I did not undergo treatment as i had no symptoms. But now, i have started having pains in my rightupper quadrant, and wish to see a doctor. However i want to go to a doctor with all test results ready so as to minimise visits?. What all are the blood tests and other tests, that are advisable in this case? Can I be treated with medicines or is surgery the only option available?. What are the complications if it goes untreated?

There are many available tests to determine cholelithiasis. The most common a patient would be sent for are: ultrasound (abdominal), abdominal Ct scan, abdominal x-ray, ERCP, HIDA scan. Lab work would most likely include (but at times can all come back within normal limits which is the reason for all the other tests above): a chemistry panel, including electrolytes, liver enzymes, & bilirubin, complete blood count (CBC), lipase& amylase levels, PT & PTT. These are all ok to be drawn either way because if surgical intervention is needed, almost all hospitals require these tests to be done prior to any surgery either way.

REgarding treatment: Most of the time doctors will refer you to a gastro doctor for medications such as Prevacid & the like, suggest the avoidance of fatty foods, & exercise. When these methods do not stop the pain & reoccurance of stones, an operation called "laparoscopic cholecystectomy" usually follows. This is the prefered way to remove the gallbladder. If it can not be done laparoscopically, it is done "open".

I hope this answers your questions, please write back if there is more information you still need.

Best of luck :)

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here