Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: cholilithiasis

shy patient - Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:18 pm

I had a routine check up some time ago and discovered to have gall stones. I did not undergo treatment as i had no symptoms. But now, i have started having pains in my rightupper quadrant, and wish to see a doctor. However i want to go to a doctor with all test results ready so as to minimise visits?. What all are the blood tests and other tests, that are advisable in this case? Can I be treated with medicines or is surgery the only option available?. What are the complications if it goes untreated?
 Michele P, RN - Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:59 am

shy patient wrote:I had a routine check up some time ago and discovered to have gall stones. I did not undergo treatment as i had no symptoms. But now, i have started having pains in my rightupper quadrant, and wish to see a doctor. However i want to go to a doctor with all test results ready so as to minimise visits?. What all are the blood tests and other tests, that are advisable in this case? Can I be treated with medicines or is surgery the only option available?. What are the complications if it goes untreated?

There are many available tests to determine cholelithiasis. The most common a patient would be sent for are: ultrasound (abdominal), abdominal Ct scan, abdominal x-ray, ERCP, HIDA scan. Lab work would most likely include (but at times can all come back within normal limits which is the reason for all the other tests above): a chemistry panel, including electrolytes, liver enzymes, & bilirubin, complete blood count (CBC), lipase& amylase levels, PT & PTT. These are all ok to be drawn either way because if surgical intervention is needed, almost all hospitals require these tests to be done prior to any surgery either way.

REgarding treatment: Most of the time doctors will refer you to a gastro doctor for medications such as Prevacid & the like, suggest the avoidance of fatty foods, & exercise. When these methods do not stop the pain & reoccurance of stones, an operation called "laparoscopic cholecystectomy" usually follows. This is the prefered way to remove the gallbladder. If it can not be done laparoscopically, it is done "open".

I hope this answers your questions, please write back if there is more information you still need.

Best of luck :)

|