Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: PLEASE HELP-POST CARPAL TUNNEL RELEASE-POSSIBLE INFECTION

gt1924 - Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:22 pm

I HAD OPEN CARPAL TUNNEL RELEASE SURGERY ON OCTOBER 12TH. JUST LAST NIGHT MY HAND STARTED TO ACHE MORE AND TODAY IT IS HARD TO MOVE WITHOUT IT HURTING AND IT CONSTANTLY ACHES. IT IS A LITTLE RED AND WARM TO THE TOUCH. THERE IS NOT ANY PUSS COMING FROM THE STITCHES. COULD THIS BE AN INFECTION OR SOMETHING ELSE? WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF I DON'T SEE MEDICAL ATTENTION FOR THIS? I DON'T HAVE TO GO BACK TO THE DOCTOR UNTIL NOVEMBER 3RD TO GET THE STITCHES REMOVED. I HAD MY OTHER HAND DONE IN AUGUST AND THAT ONE BOTHERED ME A LITTLE BUT IT WAS THE FIRST FEW DAYS NOT 12 DAYS LATER. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
THANK YOU
 angel2close - Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:13 pm

You are correct to think that redness and warmth of your surgical site could well be signs of infection. You did not say if you had any swelling/increased swelling at the site. This along with the ache increasing rather than decreasing all seem to point to possible infection. Even though you are not scheduled to see your doctor until the third, please call today and tell the staff what you have told us. I feel certain that the doctor will want to see your incision. Please do not wait until you begin to see pus. Seeking medical attention later rather than sooner with an infection may result in increased healing time, unnecessary pain, etc.
 gt1924 - Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:08 pm

THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING. ACTUALLY TODAY I DID CALL THE DOCTOR AND I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT TOMARROW. IT DID START TO SWELL AND IS EVEN MORE PAINFUL NOW. THE REDNESS IS STARTING TO GO DOWN MY ARM NOW SO I AM A LITTLE NERVOUS. THANKS AGAIN FOR RESPONDING.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:33 am

Hope you are completely cured by now. Carpal tunnel is a tunnel that connects the forearm and the hand through which the tendons (long flexors) of the fingers and thumb pass (forearm to the hand).The median nerve also accompanies these tendons.
It is fibro-osseous in nature (partly lined by bones and partly ligament).
You probably had a condition called the 'carpal tunnel syndrome' for which your surgeon had divided the fibrous part of this canal.This canal has rigid walls.
What you had developed was probably a post- operative infection in that space which needed to be addressed urgently - lest the infection might have spread either into the palm or up the forearm.
The management is by
- elevating the limb,
- antibiotics, and
- drainage if there is a collection.
Thank you for your post.

|