News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: bags under eyes

bigmac - Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:22 pm

i'm only 19 years old and i have these major bags under my eyes that look horrible. I sleep well at night but i look like i am always tired. I heard that they may be due to disease. what diseases are these? i have slight athsma might it be from that? Any suggestions?
 Michele P, RN - Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:20 am

bigmac wrote:i'm only 19 years old and i have these major bags under my eyes that look horrible. I sleep well at night but i look like i am always tired. I heard that they may be due to disease. what diseases are these? i have slight athsma might it be from that? Any suggestions?

Frequent swelling & bags are normally signs of allergies. Bags under the eyes are claimed to be mainly hereditary. They also can occur because fluids tend to accumulate where the skin is thinner. Thyroid, kidney,& heart disease & some medications make
baggy eyes appear worse.

Some things you can do are:Avoid alchohol, salty foods, smoking. Take antihistamines if you have allergies, don't rub your eyes, remove your makeup carefully. watch your salt intake.

Some things that you can try to avoid the bags (or decrease them) are: use a moisturizer, .cool wet compresses, wet tea bags soaked in milk, chamomile or green tea bags to each eye fora few minutes, cucumbers the sameway, vitamin E oil or castor oil, (rub the oil gently over each eye before bed), potatoes, egg whites beaten with a drop or 2 of witch hazel will make the skin feel tighter& look less puffy. The which hazel reduces swelling & will keep the egg whites from drying to rapidly. Be careful not to put that directly in the eye!!! And of corse, cold water - anytime of the day to constrict blood vessels & reduce swelling. Sleep on your back w/your head elevated.

Best of luck :)

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here