Question: Lefted sided groin discomfort for 7 months need help

Painfor6months! - Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:14 am

I have left sided groin discomfort for the past 7 months started as slight perineal irritation then moved up to testicke and finally abdomin comes and goes lately is much more constant groin always slightly irritated but at times pressure is so intense feels as though ive been kicked in the left ball I have had numerous dermatology visits to rule out superficial causes, i have extensive std testing including a herpes select test for hsv 1 and 2 came negative as well as thourough urinealysis and white blood cell count and a check for over 70 bacterias, a manual prostyate exam doc said seemd fine, ct scan of pelvis and abdomin unremarkable, took 7 days cipro and 21 days of doxy no effect surgeon consult says i have minor hernia defect on that side but should not cause that much discomfort said hed fix but prolly wont help what is next? Im thinking psa test to rule out prostasis or cancer colonoscoy and maybe a semen culture? any other ideas? nuerologist or orthopedic doc?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:40 am

User avatar I'm at a bit of a loss regarding what could be causing your pain.

A very small hernia is unlikely to cause significant pain. Prostate cancer is generally painless. As such, a PSA is unlikely to be helpful. Your doctor may still want to do this for thoroughness.

The infectious work up you have had are all appropriate. As they were all negative it appears that this is unlikely.

Perhaps you have some nerve damage from a trauma or other injury that may be causing pain. These can be very slow to recover and typically will produce a burning type of pain.

Unfortunately I'm at a loss for other ideas. Have you seen a urologist? This may be of help. Perhaps my colleagues will have some other ideas for you.

Painfor6months! - Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:04 pm

To be more specific I went to a dermatologist ruled out skin then the sensation changed more to pressure fullness draggin sensation on testicle feels almost like its being pulled up into stomach which explains the pressure in stomach almsot like lossing my breath, I then went to a basic healt clinic to get stds cleared after that urologist ordered the testicular ultra sound to rule out cycst tumor growth blockage fluid and most importantly torsion after that the hernia idea finally came up which is what prompted the ct scan of pelvis and abdomin. ct was negative waited a while pain persisted I then went to another urologist. After hearing all I had been thru he gave me a thourough physical exam and recommended seeing a surgeon cause he felt an inguial hernia as well. Before I saw the surgeon I went to a private testing clinic that was quite expensive to try to rule out all bacterial and std causes. all tests were negative. surgreon said minor hernia prolly not the cause. I also consulted a gastroenterologist he thinks its not diverticuli clitis or anything just because its mostly groin based but he offered to set up a colonoscopy. Im jsut not sure what the best avenue of approach next is doctor aappointments take so long to get in so i want to go to the right one. A nurse I spoke to says a semen culture is essential and she cant beleive they have yet to order it to rule out epiditimitis which causes this pain. the psa concerns me because so many peopel on posts I read had chronic prostatis as the culprit of this type of pain. Im going nuts over this and im willing to pay anything or fly anywhere to get this treated. I don't want to leave something really gbad to get worse due to misdiagnosies and lack of proffessionalism. I feel my treatment thus far has been neglagant and ive only ruled things out on my own never really getting good advice from the docs ive seen. The only way i made it to all these specialist is thru nurseline which is a service my insurance provides. My primary doc who ive only seen twice as i just moved to florida from milweaukee decided that since I the ct scan was negative for herrnia that paxil would help me? can u beleive that have u ever heard of anxiety meds for goin pain? what a quack. I have absoloutely no history of anxiety depressioj and previous tho this condition I had not seen a doc for 5 years.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:37 pm

User avatar It is possible that the hernia is the source of your pain. Typically, small hernias don't cause much discomfort but it is possible.

Epididymitis should present with pain in the epididymus. The epididymus is located directly on top of the testis. It can easily be palpated through the scrotum. No pain on palpation makes epididymitis very unlikely. A semen culture can be performed but this is not the typical method of diagnosing epididymitis. If there is concern about the possibility of such an infection, a treatment course with antibiotics is warranted.

You definitely have a tough case. I recommend you find a primary care physician that you feel is taking you seriously and pursue the diagnosis with him/her. Having a good primary care doctor is essential to being able to coordinate all the subspecialists and keep a "non-tunnel vision" view of things.

|