News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: protruding tissue from vagina

maestra - Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:09 am

I am a 55 year old menopausal woman. During a long bumpy bike ride, I kept feeling some discomfort in my lower abdomen. During a shower afterward I discovered that some tissue was protruding from my vagina. There seems to be some minor swelling between the urethra and the vagina that is causing this. It is not particularly painful, just a moderate constant irritation. It feels similar to a poorly inserted tampon. So far I haven't had any symptoms of a urinary tract infection. I'm wondering what is going on and do I need to see a doctor immediately or if I can wait until my annual exam which is scheduled in a week? Should I stay off the bike in the meantime?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:07 pm

User avatar Hello Maestra,

What you may be seeing is some prolapse of tissue. This basically means that the tissue that should be inside comes outside. This can occur from the vagina, the urethra or the rectum.

If you are having no pain associated with this it is likely OK to wait until your schedule appointment. If you develop any irritation or pain you should probably have this evaluated sooner. There are a number of other possible things that could be going on so an evaluation is important.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here