Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Cloudy urine and sharp pain in side

adiggs36 - Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:07 pm

Hi I am writing because of my 21 year old son. He had a kidney stone earlier in the year. He called tonight to let me know that he is having cloudy urine and off and on sharp pain in his side near where his kidneys are located. He had also said he feels tired and fatigued a lot lately. Is it possible that he has gotten a kidney infection from the kidney stone and it is just gotten bad enough to cause him issues now. He has complained of the side pain before now but no cloudy urine until recently. He is so afraid of getting another kidney stone he only drinks bottled water now and has lost weigh due to this fear. He was over weigh but he is at a healthy weigh for his height. I am just worried he is going to keep losing weigh. Thanks in advance for your help.
A. Diggs
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:42 pm

User avatar Hi there -

It does sounds as though your son may have an infection, based on the signs and symptoms reported. The weight loss due to avoiding things he fears may cause another stone could become a serious concern if it continues. So far it's had a positive effect, but for the wrong reasons. While those predisposed to kidney stones can be affected to some degree by certain dietary items, this is not the way to go about avoiding one, especially with a possible infection aboard as well.

Having had a kidney stone once places a person at a slight additonal risk of developing an infection later, or this could actually be another stone manifesting in a more gentle way than usual. In either case your son needs to be evaluated promptly by a doctor, preferably a urologist, to rule out both a kidney infection and a stone. Please try and impress this upon him. He's not doing himself any good by simply changing his diet (although that may have had an unintentional good side effect).

Please follow up with us here as needed. Good luck to you and to your son.
 adiggs36 - Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:05 am

Hi and thank you so much for your response. I took him to the doctor yesterday and they checked his urine and said it was ok. They said he was having muscle spasms. I am not really comfortable with that so I am in the process of getting him in to the urology dept at UVA. He does not have health insurance currently and they have programs there with a referral that he qualifies for. I am glad that he is not showing any infection but the pressure and pain in his side comes and goes. The doc explained that with him drinking so much water and only drinking juice occasionally that the acid in juice could be reason for cloudy urine. (shoulders raised) Not sure if that is correct but both of us will be more comfortable with a urologist checking him out. He has had so many issues with his kidney on the right side. He was power slammed when he was 12 on a concrete slab and had alot of contusions and bleeding in urine then. The weigh loss is a concern also. His appetite has drastically changed since the first kidney stone. He lost from 235lbs to 185lbs since May of this year. Height is 5ft.10inches. So again thank you and have a blessed day.
ADiggs
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:36 pm

User avatar Hello again -

The muscle spasm theory is not unreasonable, but it is only a theory. Same thing goes for the juice/cloudy urine idea. Could be. Good to know there's nothing clearly going on, but your concern would seem warranted anyway, so if you can get him in to be seen at urology at UVA, that should be a huge help one way or the other.

The weight loss is remarkable, although it's certainly positive. Fifty pounds in five months would at least average 10 per month, and that's about as much as one would reasonably want to lose in that span of time. He could safely lose more, but only assuming proper nutrition along with it. His current weight is certainly healthier than the original, so even if this turns up nothing ultimately, at least that will have been a positive side effect -- again, proper nutrition considered.

Best of luck to you and to him. Please let us know if you do get him in to be seen at UVA and how that goes. Do stay in touch.
 adiggs36 - Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:13 pm

I ended up taking my son to my family doctor Monday Oct. 20, 2008. He checked him out because he was still having problems with his urine stream and he was still hurting in side. He took another urine sample and said he had a urinary tract infection. He prescribed some Bactrim ( I think that is spelled correct) and told him he would see him back in 2 weeks to make sure he was clear. I am still going to do the referral for UVA but at least now it is not as urgently needed. He is feeling better today. I just do not understand that if our local ER checked his urine how they missed this. He did submit a sample to them.Thanks for your advice and concern. I will keep you updated on anything that changes as he goes to the UVA. Again Thank You.
A. Diggs
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:04 am

User avatar Hi there -

The only thing I can think of that may have masked the UTI is the possibility that his uring was so very dilute from all the water drinking, that the number of bacteria per volume was low enough to not hit the scale at the time. This is possible, although rare. At least, for now, it seems you know what's going on, so if you can avoid a long and expensive trip, it's all to the good. Bactrim is the "go to" drug for UTIs, so hopefully it will knock this out in short order.

We'll be looking forward to your update.
 adiggs36 - Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:10 pm

Hi There,

I ended back in the ER again with my son. His UTI has cleared but he was still having the pains in side and was at that time having chills and fever as well. I talked to the ER Doctor and explained that he has had kidney stones in the past. He did order another scan that showed he has 1 kidney stone in each of his kidney. He said they were small around 2mm each. He is going to UVA on the 24th of November in hopes that they will place him some machine to crush them without pain. I am also hoping to find out just what type of stones they are so he can possibly stay away from foods that are making them develop. They also spoke of calcification (if spelled correctly) in his right kidney.The fever was coming from a virus which reeked havoc on our family for over a week. Nasty stomach virus this year. Oh and he also had bilirubins in his urine. They are saying he has some form of anemia that is hereditary. Anyway I am know we are well on the way to getting him back to great health. Just wanted to update. Thank you for your advice and help.
Adiggs
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:36 am

User avatar Hi, and thanks for the update! This is relatively good news (it would be better if nothing had happend to start with, but at least now you know what's going on and it is definitely fixable). Lithotripsy should disintigrate the stones that are there now, and if some underlying dietary cause can be found to help avoid future repeats that would be great. (Sometimes living in a hard water area can contribute in susceptible individuals). Please let us know how things go. Best of luck to you all.
 Danielsmommy - Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:25 pm

I am having similar problems but have been having them for 5 months. I tried to post a topic about it but it wouldn't let me. They did a CT scan and said no stones but there were black spots on my left kidney where I am hurting the most. They said it was normal. What does this mean?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:32 pm

User avatar For danielsmommy:

Without the radiologist's report for reference purposes, and understanding that the doctor said it was "normal" what you should assume is just that. I don't know why doctors and radiologists both frequently make these offhand remarks and leave the patient sitting up at night, later, wondering what it means. Usually it doesn't mean anything. Often, in fact, spots such as were mentioned can be due to gas trapped in the colon, which actually could be the cause of your discomfort. It's hard to say, but usually these spots are superficial and really don't mean much. If it concerns you, though, I would strongly suggest asking the doctor directly. It's not right to have this sort of half-information tossed off like that, even though it does sound quite innocent.

I hope this helps. Please follow up with us here as needed. Good luck to you.
 Danielsmommy - Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:39 pm

Thanks for your reply. I'm just getting really frustrated with this pain. I have been to 5 different doctors. Now one of them wants to do a spinal block and insert a catheter in my spine and leave it in there all the time.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:10 pm

User avatar I can empathize with you about the pain, but the indwelling spinal catheter sounds rather extreme! You may want to get a second opinion on that, as it seems like overkill, even for the management of chronic pain. If there were fewer risks involved regarding potential infection (and there may be by now) then it might not be a bad idea.

Please keep us updated about all this.
 Danielsmommy - Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:32 pm

So there is a risk of infection from that? Like a bad risk? I am prone to infections for some reason too. I have just got back from the urologist and I have yet another e coli uti. I go strictly by the book in avoiding them...even drink tons of water and cranberry juice and take cranberry pills. This pain is ruining my life....and I want my life back. I am on tramadol for the pain and it sedates me. I have a 5 month old son to take care of, so I am considering the spinal block...but I want as much information on it as possible. Could you tell me about it? The risks and benefits? Like, with the catheter in, what if I got in a wreck or fell? Could it sever my spinal cord and paralize me? And the risk of infection concerns me...And is it definitly going to work? What bothers me is they don't really seem concerned about finding what is causing this pain. My grandfather died of kidney cancer. But they would have seen cancer on my ct scan right? Thanks so much for you help. My doctors don't seem to like to talk to me or explain anything to me. I tried asking my urologist about some things today and he acted like I was so stupid.
 Danielsmommy - Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:27 pm

I am definitly going to find out some facts before I decide to do anything like that. Do you know anything about it? How great is the risk of infection? I went to the urologist today and he said I have another or possibly the same uti with e coli. I go by the book as far as doing things to prevent them. I don't know why I keep getting them. I tried to ask him some questions about it and he didn't act like he was interested in talking. Acted like I was stupid. So I'll ask you...do you think this horrible pain I have been having for 5 months could be bladder spasms from the infection? I also have black specks in my urine. I am leaning toward doing the spinal block because I am quickly deteriorating in my day to day activities. I can't keep my house, my baby's father is having to do more and more for him. I am having to take more and more tramadol to keep from being in agony. If I get the spinal block, where could I go after that to find the cause of this pain? My grandfather died of kidney cancer...that really worries me. I don't know if it could be cancer or if it could be adhesions from my c section but no one seems to want to find out. They did do a ct scan but won't really discuss it with me except to say there were no kidney stones. Can another doctor look at the ct scan? It is on file at the hospital. Sorry for such a long message but thanks for your time and your help.

|