News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Can Chronic Dehydration cause Kidney Pain?

stormi63 - Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:43 am

I am 45 yr old female who started getting left back pain just below end of ribs in apr 2007.Pain slowly increased on both sides moving around toward front, then in Sep 07 I urinated and agonizing pain was gone.I assume I passed stones.But the original pain has stayed since.K.U.B xrays,ultrasound,urine and bloodwork show that there are no stones and kidneys are fine,but the pain just below ribs still stays.Cat scan just showed gallstones and 2cm cyst on left ovary.My GP says I'm not dehydrated even though,skin fold on hand is positive and I did a intake(67oz)and output(67oz),I am on oxycodone,amitriptiline,benedryl,colace,zopliclone and oxaepam(which I believe dehydrate me).which means I'm in the negative everyday if I'm urinating out the liquids I take in.I am also sweating with every activity and have been since 2007.Also with activity my temperature lowers..after 20 min of shovelling snow my temp was 94.3..2007 it was 91.2 after 2 hrs of shovelling,but will increase after I stop activity.Pain seems to increase whenever I drink anything.My right thyroid was removed in 2004 and am on .075mg levothyroxine.My T3 T4 Tsh levels are also fine.My GP says its got to be my back,but my back pain wouldn't increase because of drinking water.Could this be because of Dehydration?I am also on calcium and vitamin d because of losing half of thyroid.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:33 am

User avatar Hi,
Dehydration is certainly related to renal stones.A good urinary output prevents crystal formation in the urine.Although at times imaging does not reveal a urinary stone,still renal colics can occur due to crystals(not actual stones-but precursors of stones)-temporarily blocking the ureters.They may not be visualised on imaging as they might have been washed away.
One should take the precaution to drink adequate amount of fluids to put out about 2000 mls+ of urine/day(adults). As you are on calcium supplements,there is an increased risk of urinary stone formation.So, keep drinking enough liquids. As i said earlier,drink enough water to put out an adequate urine output!
Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here