Question: Painful Urination Only in the Morning

cadam030 - Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:11 pm

Around the middle of May, which would be about two and a half months ago, I began having the typical symptoms of a UTI (painful urination, frequent urination, etc). I went to my family doctor and the urinalysis confirmed that I indeed had a UTI. I was given Cipro for five days. The medicine helped a little bit, but I still noticed that I still had painful urination in the morning after the first voiding of the day, and then it would completely go away after a couple hours. I had called the doctor back a total of four more times, each resulting in more medication which didn't completely relieve my morning burning sensation. By the middle of June, my doctor decided to see me again for another urinalysis. But this time, the urinalysis was free of any bacteria. I have tried taking cranberry pills and a product called d-mannose to see if they would work, only to wake up with the same problem every morning. My doctor recommended seeing my gynecologist, whom I wouldn't see for another two weeks. During that time, however, I had gotten my period and noticed that I no longer had any burning sensation in the morning, or at all for that matter. I thought that finally had stopped, and when I went in to see my gynecologist, she didn't seem to think anything of it. Two days later, after my period ended, it came back again and has not gone completely away in the morning. I have had another urinalysis done showing no bacteria and was put on Bactrim combined with a prescription strength urinary analgesic that somewhat subsided the pain, but did not completely go away. I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what could be wrong? This has been going on for almost three months; the burning sensation I'm feeling ranges in severity and only bothers me a minute or two after I'm completely done voiding for the first time on any given day. Please help me!
~Sincerely,
Chelsea
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:33 am

User avatar Hello,While many cases of urethritis respond to standard treatment,sometimes refractory cases need to get chlamydial NGU,or trichomonas urethritis ruled out if there is an exposure to STD.The treatment would be different if so.

|