Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: UTI: antibiotics didn't work, night sweats, shakes? Help?

KateModern - Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:08 am

Hey, I'm really worried and upset at what I think is a urinary tract infection in advanced stages in some way or another. I'm 18, a girl, and not sexually active.

About four months ago, I had a couple of days where I needed to urinate constantly, I was in real discomfort, hot and cold etc. I thought it was just a little cystitis or something and that it would go away. I drank lots of water and took painkillers, and the more painful symptoms were eradicated.

Since then, I've often experienced random 'twinges' of pain after urination, then throughout the dat. However, I didn't really think much of it. I've also found since then that sitting in the same position (e.g. the cinema/movie theater) for a long time has caused discomfort and slight numbness around my genitals, I guess.

However, about a week ago, the symptoms have worsened again. I've found that after urination, I'm in much discomfort, cannot sit still, can't concentrate, slight burning sensations and feeling pretty bad. These symptoms last for around two hours after my morning wee, and for around four hours after an afternoon wee. When I urinate before attempting to get to sleep, it is impossible to lie still and takes me a long time to get to sleep due to the burning, numbness and general pain.

At this point, five days ago I visited my GP. I only explained my most recent feelings, not the ones from few months back, which I should have thought of. I was prescribed a three day course of antibiotics, which I have taken. The situation has not improved. Last night, the discomfort when trying to sleep was awful, and after taking paracetamol I managed about two hours sleep and woke up around 3am, unable to sit or stand still. I was sweaty, felt really hot and I was shaking really quite badly for around an hour in which I drank three large glasses of cold water, to cool myself down and take my mind off the pain.

I saw a second GP this morning, and I brought in a specimen this time. However, it was from my first wee of the morning, and due to large amount of water, it was very weak indeed, and didn't smell like my other 'wees' have recently smelt like. The GP did a dipstick test and said there was nothing abnormal, but said he'd send it off to a lab. Would the fact that it was very weak hide anything, and would I need to get a better sample? He couldn't offer me any other advice, only to take lots of painkillers, which I'm already doing.

I can't take this anymore, and I'm worried that what I originally just left to 'clear up by itself' has developed into something worse that can't be just treated with antibiotics. What are your thoughts?

Thanks you so, so much.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:06 pm

Your symptoms could be due to a UTI. UTIs can be suspected by your symptoms, but can be diagnosed only by a culture test.
UTIs are fairly common in women, mostly caused by E.coli in the community setting.

Staphylococcus saprophyticus is also a common cause of urinary tract infections (UTIs) in young and middle-aged women(next only to E.Coli).

In passing (although not relevant in your case), one should mention the role of vaginal spermicides, which have been suspected to increases the risk of UTI's. Sexual activity and spermicide exposure are important risk factors for UTI caused by both S saprophyticus and E coli.

Some studies have shown that in young women exposed to spermicide-coated condoms, about 74% of UTIs were caused by S. saprophyticus.

You have to wait for the result of the urinary culture and your doctor no doubt, would start you on the appropriate medication if culture is positive.

|