Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Hubby has protein and ketones in urine??

jessicamarquardt - Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:05 pm

My husband has been struggling with urination for the last couple of months. He has to separate the urethra opening every time to urinate. He had his urethra close as a young child, and we were thinking this may again be the problem. He saw a specialist who disagreed, and diagnosed him with urethritis. He was put on doxycycline as there were WBC in his urine. We took the full course and unfortunately it did not get better. Due to scheduling conflicts, we switched to a family practice doctor this week to continue treatment. This doctor did many more tests, including some blood tests which we do not know the results of yet, a PSA level (came back at 0.75) and urinalysis. He did the prostate exam due to strong family history of prostate cancer, and said it felt soft instead of hard. Then the nurse calls and leaves a message that large amounts of protein and traces of ketones were found in the urine. She said nothing of bacteria, blood, or WBC. And now nothing for 48 hours! I'm calling tomorrow morning to see if the doctor wants us to come back in (nothing scheduled as of yet) and to get these results further explained.

Any comments/suggestions??

I forgot to mention that I have access to a glucometer from work, so we have been taking his blood sugars. A random blood surgar was 122 - a 10 hour fasting was 95. I know these are not *high* but they are high normal. Could the kidneys malfunctioning cause the ketones?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:56 am

User avatar Hi jessicamarquardt,
The body normally uses glucose for energy. When the body uses fat instead of sugar for energy it produces the by-product ketones. Conditions that may cause ketones are diabetes, malnutrition, alcoholism, illness, etc. I would first attribute ketones to one of these conditions. Does he have a fruity odor to his breath? (sort of like the smell of nail polish remover). Does he have frequent thirst and urination? I would certainly hope that an evaluation for diabetes is completed because excess ketone production in people with diabetes may lead to diabetic ketoacidosis which can be very dangerous. The PSA level (although values may vary according to the lab used) sound within normal limits as is the prostate exam. As for the protein in the urine, a 24 hour urine collection would provide a more accurate assessment of protein levels and kidney function. What about labwork, were there any abnormalities noted with kidney function there (BUN, creatinine levels etc.)? I would certainly suggest you call the physician for an explaination, follow up evaluation, and further studies to identify the problem.

|