News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Hydrocelectomy 3 months later

ThaTza - Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:08 am

Hello,

I had a Hydrocelectomy on my left side on May 28 2010. Its been 3 months and the left side is still very swollen and feels really hard. I have had an ultrasound and am still waiting for my Dr to look at it. Is it normal to have such swelling after 3 months? When I wake up in the morning my scrotum and groin area are pretty much normal.....But as the day goes on my left side groin and scrotum area become swollen and sometimes it does hurt. As I await my ultrasound results....Do you know what this could be?

Thanks!!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:48 pm

User avatar Hi,
A certain amount of swelling following hydrocelectomy surgery is to be expected. The degree of swelling depends on many variables which include,
- the original size of the hydrocele,
- the type of surgery performed(eversion vs subtotal excision of the sac),
- thickness of the sac,
- cause of the hydrocele(filarial vs non-filarial),
- size of the testis,
- post operative complications(hematoma), etc.

In most instances, this swelling tends to subside over time (variable). It will help to wear a scrotal support and to keep the scrotum elevated while in bed. If your doctor prescribes anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs), they may be taken as well. It is always better to follow up with your surgeon in matters such as this.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here