Question: Hydrocelectomy 3 months later

ThaTza - Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:08 am

I had a Hydrocelectomy on my left side on May 28 2010. Its been 3 months and the left side is still very swollen and feels really hard. I have had an ultrasound and am still waiting for my Dr to look at it. Is it normal to have such swelling after 3 months? When I wake up in the morning my scrotum and groin area are pretty much normal.....But as the day goes on my left side groin and scrotum area become swollen and sometimes it does hurt. As I await my ultrasound results....Do you know what this could be?

Thanks!!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:48 pm

A certain amount of swelling following hydrocelectomy surgery is to be expected. The degree of swelling depends on many variables which include,
- the original size of the hydrocele,
- the type of surgery performed(eversion vs subtotal excision of the sac),
- thickness of the sac,
- cause of the hydrocele(filarial vs non-filarial),
- size of the testis,
- post operative complications(hematoma), etc.

In most instances, this swelling tends to subside over time (variable). It will help to wear a scrotal support and to keep the scrotum elevated while in bed. If your doctor prescribes anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs), they may be taken as well. It is always better to follow up with your surgeon in matters such as this.

|