Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/doctorsl/public_html/urology/forums/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 885: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 885: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Suspected urological problem, but nothing found... • Doctors Lounge

Advertisement

doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

Headlines:    

Suspected urological problem, but nothing found...

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.

Suspected urological problem, but nothing found...

Postby miclus on Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:20 pm

In April 2005, I woke up and my back and butt were sweating. As the day progressed, they start burning like crazy, seemingly sensitive only to things touching against them like the bed or my chair. Sitting in my chair for more than a few minutes produced insane burning in my butt, so much so that it seems to go numb. They seem slightly relieved upon standing, almost fully reversing the pain, but not 100%. The next day, I start having difficulty both urinating and with bowel movements. It just seems like the pelvis area is swollen inside like something is blocking them. It's extremely difficult to urinate and have bowel movements now, 20 months later still. The pain in my butt and lower back is insane, and makes me feel like I have totally been restructured physically. I really feel as if something has totally shifted in my body. I have this extremely bad pain in my right side near my ribs and flank area that runs into my right groin and right testicle, and right buttock. Even the right leg. The pubic area has a lot of pressure on it and my penis/urethra hurts very bad near the end, independent of using the bathroom. Basically, I have very bad pains day in and day out and marked difficulty using the bathroom, but absolutely no explanation. I haven't been able to find a good doc yet that will give me the time of day. I have been to a urologist, but he couldn't find the problem with a urine culture and eps culture and ivp to look at kidneys, as well as scrotal ultrasound. I also went to a gastroenterologist and he did a colonoscopy and abdominal ct (but didn't cover pelvis region). MRI showed a bulging disc but not messing with the cord according to 3 or 4 doctors I showed it to. They all don't think it reveals a problem. Here are my suspicions based on 20 months of research:

1. Some type of occult pelvic area hernia. These could be looked further into with a pelvic ct (for obturator) and groin ultrasound (for inguinal and femoral), neither of which anyone has ordered yet. Also, pelvic ct can show many other problems. I've had an abdominal ct to check kidneys and liver and stuff, but it didn't cover the pelvis area, so I feel a pelvic ct is definitely warranted.

2. Some type of urological problem that just went unnoticed. Now, I know a urologist would be best, but routine things have been looked into. My theories on that are perhaps a difficult to find prostate infection, or maybe even an abscess. An ultrasound of the prostate could rule that out, and I haven't had that. Prostate infection would be less likely given the negative EPS and I took Doxycycline and Levaquin. I'm guessing a cystoscopy could essentially complete a urological workup, and maybe a repeat eps or semen culture.

Do you think my problem is urological and do you agree with the tests I think I should get?
miclus

Postby Dr. Safaa Mahmoud on Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:36 pm

Hello,

I agree with Dr. Chan Lowe as he answered your other posts, A 24-hour urine collection to check for calcium, phosphate, urate, oxalate etc as they all may lead to stone formation.

CT scans and IVP can identify most of kidney stones but have some limitations.
A Spiral CT scan (does not need a contrast) is of choice in evaluating kidney stones as it can identify stones regardless of composition.

Another cause to be excluded since you have like hypersthesia (according to your description), neurological causes should be considered too.

You have mentioned that a MRI has been done, did it include the sacral vertebrae within?
Did you consult a neurologist?

Keep us updated.
Best regards.
This answer does not substitute for direct medical consultation.

Dr. Safaa Mahmoud.
MB BCh, MSc Internal Medicine. MD Medical Oncology.
PhD Experimental Medicine and Biochemical Science.
Dr. Safaa Mahmoud
Medical Doctor

Return to Urology Topics